Vertebroplasty Treatment




Vertebroplasty is a condition where the bone density decreases with advancing age, due to deficiency of calcium and vitamin D. With increased life expectancy, osteoporosis has emerged as a potentially disabling condition of the old age. This condition makes the bones of the body weak and susceptible to fractures, especially of the spine. Approximately 85% fractures in old age are caused by osteoporosis and the remaining 15% are caused by bone weakness caused by other conditions such as the spread of cancer to the bones. Out of these one-third patients may present with significant pain in spite of non-operative measures like bed rest, hospitalization, painkiller medications or bracing.

What is Osteoporotic Vertebral Fracture?



Osteoporosis is complicated by the vertebral fracture that occurs spontaneously or is caused by minor trauma. These vertebral fractures are often highly painful and are treated with immobilization, analgesic drugs, and specific treatment of osteoporosis. But immobilization increases demineralization. Therefore in spite of long-term medical treatment, some patients have severe, persistent, incapacitating pain. Later consequences of vertebral fracture include reduced height, kyphosis (hunch back), and chronic back pain. Percutaneous Vertebroplasty is indicated for painful osteoporotic or neoplastic vertebral compression fractures refractory to medical therapy.


About Vertebroplasty

Vertebroplasty also known as Percutaneous Vertebroplasty is a spinal procedure in which bone cement is injected through a small hole in the skin (percutaneously) into a fractured vertebra with the goal of relieving the pain of osteoporotic compression fractures and providing strength to the bone. Vertebroplasty is used for patients with vertebral compression fractures due to osteoporosis, metastatic tumors, or benign tumors such as vertebral heamangiomas. It also provides vertebral stabilization when the lesion threatens the stability of the spine. Vertebroplasty can increase patient mobility, decrease narcotic needs, and prevent further vertebral collapse.

Vertebroplasty phoplasty

Vertebroplasty is a minimally invasive, image-guided procedure done by a spine surgeon. It is performed on the outpatient basis under local anesthesia and light sedation. During the procedure, bone cement, Polymethylmethacrylate (PMMA) is injected with a biopsy needle into the collapsed or fractured vertebra with X-ray guidance. The acrylic cement quickly dries and forms a support structure within the vertebra that provides stabilization and strength. The needle makes a small puncture in the patient’s skin that is easily covered with a small bandage after the procedure.

Click: Calcium intake is important for elderly ladies


The patient recovery is quick as it is a minimally invasive surgery with very little blood loss and damage to surrounding tissues. The patients are kept under observation for 1-2 hrs after which they are discharged. They return to normal day to day activities within a week.

Best Facilities at our Hospitals

We at sincerely strive for excellent hospitality to the patients. Our hospitals provide the latest technique like minimally invasive spine surgeries which are at par with the global hospitals and that too at affordable costs. Vertebroplasty in India is done at hospitals in Delhi, Chennai and Mumbai that maintain high standards of hygiene and strive in their pursuit to provide the best patient care. In our hospitals, spine treatment is done at a cost which is 40% of what people have to pay in other countries without compromising on the technical expertise, quality of treatment and aftercare.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *